Thursday, March 24, 2005

Time In A Bottle

During play-pretend, children mostly choose to be parents, doctors, wantan mee hawkers, etc... anything that adults are. They must think it's a damn good thing being an adult.

When i was young, indeed i had an illusion that coming-of-age brought with it some splendour. I didn't think specifically then what splendour exactly, but i had this notion that life would be different when someone grows up. They shed baby fats, remove braces, get contact lenses (or however else they do it, nobody taught me) and transform into goodlooking people.

Not just physically, other aspects of a grown-up blossom too. Once again, i'm not sure what exactly. Maybe it's something that we can't see. Like, getting your life figured out? Or maybe that's just how people look after dating the same person (GASP!) for 6 running years (and still going)?

So i'd been waiting for my turn to break on through to the other side, wherever the other side might be, but to my utmost horror, there's no other side to break on through to. Everything remains the same. No splendour has come a-knocking (yet?). I still look the same, i still have my bangs, i haven't figured out many things, and i haven't seen anyone for 6 running years besides my mother (which to me is a good thing btw).

But now if i could play pretend again, i'd be the first to take the role of a 3-year-old.