Thursday, March 10, 2005

Junk #49

I don't care what you say, but Coldplay's "Yellow" is about drugs. More specifically, it's about heroine.

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah they were all yellow,


It's high time. The narrator feels the urge.

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called yellow


In this verse, the narrator sings an ode to his drug of choice, and what it does to him. In case you didn't know, heroine is not all white. It turns yellowish upon burning.

So then I took my turn
Oh all the things I've done
And it was all yellow


It is the narrator's turn now for a hit. And as it kicks in, he reflects on himself, and "all the things [he's] done". He's probably fucked up and miserable.

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones


The effects of taking too much junk.

Turn into something beautiful

Now he feels good about himself.

D'you know you know I love you so
You know I love you so


But of course.

I swam across
I jumped across for you
Oh all the things you do
Cause you were all yellow


There could be two possible meanings. a) He's tripping and it's all in his head. b) He's thinking about how much difficulty he went through just to score some.

I drew a line
I drew a line for you
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all yellow


He decided to try a different method now. He tried snorting it through his nose. It probably hurt and he thought, "Holy shit! What a thing to do!"

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
D'you know for you i bleed myself dry
For you i bleed myself dry


The last two lines can be taken literally or metaphorically. For the former, it's part of the routine for injecting smack. You draw out some blood first before shooting up. Another way of looking at it would be the habit exhausting his entire fortunes, not to mention the long-term effects robbing him of his health.

Its true look how they shine for you

This is his euphoria speaking. Everything beautiful is enhanced and amplified now, just like the stars.

Now we know why Chris Martin looks so pale and washed out. And i shared this once with somebody, and this somebody said "Wow, now the song's so much more enjoyable!" Okayyyy, i'm glad i made that happen.